Seven people confirmed seriously injured from a cooking gas explosion in Anambra
A tragic incident occurred on February 2, as seven people sustained serious injuries in a gas explosion at No 23 Emmanuel Church road, Inland town Onitsha, in Anambra State.
The building was razed down by fire after a gas cooker recently procured exploded while being used for the first time at about 10:30am.
Anambra State Police spokesperson, Haruna Mohammed who confirmed the incident gave the names of victims of the incident as Nonso Okafor ‘m’, Nkechi Chinyere Okafor ‘f,’ Chisoba Okafor ‘m’, Ebuka Okafor ‘m’, Nwabuchi Chukwutor ‘m’, Chialuka Nwabuchi ‘m’ and Ifeoma Nwabuchi ‘f’.
The statement read in parts;
“The Fire allegedly emanated from a gas cooker recently procured which exploded in the course of using it for the first time.
“As a result, A total of seven(7) persons namely: Nonso Okafor ‘m’, Nkechi Chinyere Okafor ‘f,’ Chisoba Okafor ‘m’, Ebuka Okafor ‘m’, Nwabuchi Chukwutor ‘m’, Chialuka Nwabuchi ‘m’ and Ifeoma Nwabuchi ‘f’ sustained varying degrees of injuries while property worth millions of Naira were destroyed.
“Following the distress call, Police patrol team led by DPO inland town Division rushed to the scene and the fire was put off by local volunteers.
“Meanwhile, the Area was cordoned off to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation to loot and casualties taken to Boromeo/Minas hospitals Onitsha for medical attention. No loss of life and victims are responding to treatment.”